Saturday, November 23, 2013

Quick takes Friday

I think I actually (finally) didn't take a ridiculously long time writing these!

My dad had a grandkid itch that needed scratching, so he came over to have some baby time while Nate and I got to see "Thor: The Dark World." I enjoyed it, though the movie seemed to drag until Loki (Tom Hiddleston) finally got more involved in the plot. And man, there is one GREAT cameo that would make rewatching the movie totally worth it.
Remember how I mentioned that I found out my grandfather kept a diary while on Corregidor? Well, I got a photocopy of it. I'm a little nervous. I've only scanned it so far, and it looks like it was only from the seige and not the POW camps - but it still wasn't exactly a walk in the park.

I'm considering posting his entries here or starting a new blog that roughly corresponds to the dates he was writing. In any case, I definitely want to transcribe it so that it's easier to read for future generations. It's a primary source document, and that's important.

I just realized I'm the same age he was when he was captured by the Japanese: 28.

--- 4 ---
Happy picture time: my grandparents on their wedding day, July 24, 1948. Pop-Pop was 34. Mom-Mom was 23.
This was probably extravagant for coal country.
I made the PB and chocolate cake. It, uh, didn't quite turn out like the pictures on the original blog...

You really don't want to know what it looks like post-ganache.
Actually, that's a recurring issue I have. It doesn't matter if I grease the pan a lot, a little, with or without flour, wait until it's 100% cool, try when it's still warm - they never come out nicely. They still taste good, but the looks leave something to be desired.

Though I do think I learned that I need to let the ganache cool a little bit longer before I pour it over the cake, since most of it just ran down the sides and pooled on the plate.

Tomorrow: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special! SO EXCITED!!! A friend is bringing a mocktail called the Sonic Screwdriver and I'm pretty stoked.


Go see Jen at Conversion Diary for more!

2 comments:

  1. That wedding picture is amazing - your grandmother was smokin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?!? Seriously.

      And she still has the dress and the crown! That is, if it didn't get destroyed when the tree fell on her house last year...

      Delete